Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Philosophy of Education

Bernard Weiner’s (1995) attribution theory suggests that we inevitably attribute certain perceptions about why students act the way they do. In turn, students hold perceptions of those around them.

“Thoughtful teachers cannot escape the reality of knowing that their perceptions of the students they teach are as much the basis of the curriculum, perhaps more, that the subject matter itself”.

My philosophy of education consists of what I believe about education – the set of principles that guides my professional action; the set of beliefs about how human beings learn and grow and what one should learn in order to live the good life. My behavior as a teacher is strongly connected to my personal beliefs and my beliefs about teaching and learning, students, knowledge, and what is worth knowing.